Posted to rec.woodworking
ChairMan[_6_] ChairMan[_6_] is offline

Default PING Chairman - OT

Sonny wrote:
On Saturday, December 21, 2013 12:46:14 AM UTC-6, ChairMan
wrote:
I haven't used one per say, but do they have pic of it on
their site?

No, they don't have a pic. Dali said he'd get a pic and
email it,
with discussion, for the application I described to him,
since there
are different folders.

I'd be intersrsted in seeing it when he sends it

It seems that some fabrics work better than
others....won't remain
lined up properly.... ex partner - used one but he didn't
like it
because it didn't sew it tight enough for him.

Even folding by hand, my latest thick fabric didn't tuck
tight
enough. The jig I made didn't quite tuck it tight enough,
either,
but was an improvement to my hand-making process....

Like I said,some fabrics are just a too thick to make DW
with.
i use to try, but now I just say NO

My jig didn't
keep the fabric aligned, it would skew to one side. Seems
a thin
roller would have helped tuck the fabric into the fold,
better than
my finger, which was too far from the sewing machine
needle. A thin
disc roller could be placed closer to the needle,
preventing the cord
from relaxing/become loose, again, just before it gets
sewn. With
the Christmas rush of projects, I didn't have time to try
fabricate another design, incorporating a roller.

Ahhh, the Xmas rush, the reason I hate this time of year.
I'm getting smarter in my old age, I've been just saying no
more and planning better the last few years.(Doesn't always
work, but)
This year I had a custom chair, sofa an oval ottoman and
reupholster a couple of chairs I built for the same client
20 years ago, promised for T-Day.
Nothing promised for Xmas, but I'm building a custom
sectional(136"x 102") that has to go on a truck to Florida
in January

http://s1241.photobucket.com/user/ch...?sort=3&page=1

Same as you, I use 4/32 and spring twine for hand folded
double
cording. Yeah, tightness and consistency is my concern
when using
any folder accessory.

Are you using a walking foot machine or a presser foot?

I don't have any type of accessory for any trim making.
All my
fabricating is by hand, since I do upholstery as a hobby.
If I were
in business, I'd probably have other accessories.

After 36 yrs in biz, I very few sewing machine accessories
other than differnt feet

This holiday season, I took on more projects, than normal,
and was
huffing and puffing to get them done before Christmas. I
suppose you
have customers who want things done for their holidays. I
would have
preferred to be hunting or hanging out with the guys,
rather than
doing this upholstery. My last 2 chairs, delivered
yesterday, was
covered with really thick fabric, with 120' of single
cording....
I've never had a project with so much cording.

120'? thats just 30 yds and single? I've sewed 1-200 yds and
more of double welt when wall upholstery was more popular.
Talk about a pain in the ass and thinking you'll never see
the end of it

I 'd like to hear your results if you try one

Will do. The furniture manufacurers have to have
something that
works perfectly, since they make miles of cording, so
there has to be
some accessory that works properly, unless they use
dedicated cording
machines.

Yeah, they have alot of dedicated machines for zippers,
boxings, they also have the room for them.
You should see how fast some of the gals sew, too.......DAMN

I've got one of these, but honestly I haven't used it
yet
http://www.rowleycompany.com/product...ape-Folder.asp

I watched a video of its use (I Googled, further, for the
video).
With your other comments, I'm gleaning ideas of how to
improve my
(last minute) cording jig. Now that I'm finished with the
holiday
rush, I have the time to rework my jig making. Maybe,
rather than a
thin roller, the video gave me the idea of a flexible
skinny finger
extension, to hold the cord firmly into the fold, even
closer to the
needle, than a thin disc roller would have done.

Make 2 if they work well and I'll buy one from ya
My old hands can't take anymore
Good luck