Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Blade guard

Bill wrote:
I never claimed to by a physicist or engineer, but I have found
myself trying to think like one in recent days.

By borrowing from numerous sources and integrating a couple ideas of
my own, I drew up a blade guard design and assembly which suits my
present purposes.

It relies however on a short vertical beam being supported ("hung")
by a short supported length of 2by4. The shot vertical beam may
consist of a short length of square steel tubing, a short length of
2by4 material, or similar.

I would like to be able to MOVE the beam along the length of the 2by4
(for horizontal adjustment). My question is: Is there a familiar
hardware item that will help me with this? All it needs to do is
wrap ("hook") around the 2by4 and provide a means to attach what I
want. It seems "definitely related" to a joist hanger, but seems to
be something different. The joist hangers that I have seen do not
have "hooks to wrap around the top of the support" (probably because
that would not evenly distribute the "load" in general).

BTW, I AM striving to be mindful of "torsional" forces.

Bill

It occurred to me that a regular joist hanger slung over the supported
2by4, sort of fits my request--but would not be nearly strong enough
(to have things hanging from, without screws, nails, etc.)

It occurred to me where I've seen something akin (not ken) to what I'm
looking for. Around the house, my wife has clothes on hooks which "hang
around the tops of doors". That's precisely in the spirit of what I'm
seeking.