Posted to alt.home.repair

Default furnace BTU

On Saturday, December 21, 2013 2:02:50 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 11:28:48 -0500, micky

wrote:

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 23:37:46 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 22:32:10 -0500, micky

wrote:

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 22:22:00 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/19/2013 2:17 AM, gregz wrote:

Today's furnace specify btu. Is that input or output ?

Greg

Input. Figure the output by multiplying by the efficienct rating.

Is that true for oil furnace, too?

Yes.

Or maybe the question is, Was that true for oil furnaces 35 years ago,

too?

Yes. It was stated as such, on mine. As others have stated, it can't

be anything else. There are too many variables to state the heat

output.

Well, my furnace is a Carrier model 58HV085

And in the owners manual, it says

Ratings, Input (1000 Btuh) 106

Output (1000Btuh) 85

So it not only rates the output, it named the model of furnace after

the output.

I went shopping for a new oil furnace, but the brochures they gave me

didn't show if they rate them by input or output or both now, of if

the model number reflects either number.

(HV means it's an upflow furnace, and 58 is the series, a group of

furnaces including downflow, upflow, loboy, etc of variious sizes, a

total of 18 models, all of which are named after their rated output)

Plus the blueprints for the house, which I got fromt he architect,

have 85,000 (or maybe 85,000 btu) hand-written in big numbers at an

agle on them.

It was installed 34 years and a few months ago, and when shopping for

a new furnace, I have to be careful NOT to buy one with 85,000 input,

which won't give as much output as I have now.

Here's the spec sheet for all of them. The info starts at page 3.

http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...it/58h-5si.pdf

Even Carrier can't repeal the laws of physics. The only thing they

have control over is the input (and that, only to the degree that

specifications are followed). The output (efficiency) is left to age

and those maintaining the system.

That's like saying Ford can't spec the output horsepower of the
engines on the cars they make, yet obviously they do.
I just looked up the spec sheet for
the Rheem gas furnace I have and they do spec both input and output.
If you think about it, how could they spec that it's 93% efficient,
that it meets govt standards etc, if they can't determine how much
heat comes out, only how much goes in? All kinds of systems are
spec'd for a variety of parameters, but of course if the system isn't
installed properly, maintained properly, is old etc, then those spec;s
aren't going to be met. That wasn't the issue. The issue was whether
manufacturers spec furnaces on input or output. Clearly many in fact
do both.

Just admit it, once again, you're wrong krw and Micky is right.