Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair
JosephKK JosephKK is offline

Default beware of the updates you install

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 00:32:32 -0800, Marc Wielage
wrote:

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 03:07:41 -0800, William Sommerwerck wrote
(in article ):

Let's not forget that Apple has a monopoly on its hardware and OS.
------------------------------snip------------------------------

You ever see the Windows Phone, the Surface, or the Surface Pro?

Microsoft has stated in the last year that they're beginning to realize the
value of controlling both the hardware and the operating system, because then
they can tailor each in such a way as to optimize it in every possible way
without regard to weird, off-brand hardware using dodgy components.

An old pal of mine has told me for years that the main computers Microsoft
does use to fine-tune Windows are Dell models. I would consider those the de
facto models to get, almost the "IBM" of today. I never had a problem with
any of the Dells we've bought over the years.

I do think it's problematic to use *any* operating system beyond 7-8 years,
because eventually, you're kind of on an isolated island where you're unable
to upgrade and it gets harder and harder to get support. And when
mission-critical outboard peripherals fail, you eventually get forced into
upgrading both hardware and OS.

--MFW

In average business/office or home use that can work; in industrial land
20+ year life times are expected and often required. ISA machines are
still available to support that market.

?-)