Posted to sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Oil furance ignition transformer. Proper resistance for primary

Oil furance ignition transformer. Proper resistance for primary.

Is it possible that a winding with only 4 ohms DC resistance would
have 52 ohms impedance at 60 Hertz**?

I have an ignition transformer for an oil furnace burner.

It's designed to make a continuous spark to ignite the atomized fuel
oil sprayed into the firebox. It runs on 120 VAC. And the
secondary is meant to provide a voltage that will jump across a
specified 1/8" gap, but probably will jump a 1/4" gap. I see that the
transformer secondary is rated at 10,000 volts.

Disconnected and measured with an ohmmeter it shows 20,000 ohms in the
secondary, and 4 ohms in the primary!!

Is that possible? Esp. the primary.

I don't know how to measure impedance at 60 Hertz.

The transformer primary uses 2.2A at 120 volts, according to its label

(The current in the secondary is 23mA. The transformer is a lot like
this one:
https://www.grainger.com/product/ALL...sformer-23M552
)

E=IR, R = E/I = 120/2.2 = a little over 52 ohms, right?

That would make the impedance at 60** Hertz about 52 ohms, right?

Is it possible that a winding with only 4 ohms DC resistance would
have 52 ohms impedance at 60cps**?

Or is the transformer bad?

Or what am I doing wrong?

The transformer seems to fail when it's hot, but it wasn't hot when I
measured the resistance of the windings.

**Or maybe 15 to 30KHz. Some replacement transformers specify that,
but I think it's only for quite modern furnaces. I don't think my old
furnace would have that. It has a circuit board with about 30 parts,
but I don't know what parts to look for that would be an oscillator.

Thanks.