Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Blade guard

woodchucker wrote:
On 12/20/2013 11:41 PM, Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Just go slow and easy and don't try to get it all in one smooth pass -
that just won't happen.

You don't have to worry about that. This is a multifaceted project. 1.
Blade guard 2. linkage, 3. support.

I have been trying to better understand the "scissors linkage?" which is
a very common one for connecting a blade guard. Even that has a
"practical part" (what goes where) and a theoretical part (how well is
it going to work). I still haven't worked out all of the details, but
I am rather enjoying collecting them. Alot like a jig-saw puzzle.

Good lighting, a constant watchful eye, a careful approach to the
work, and you can make this happen. Just be thankful you don't have
the issues that Karl has to worry about - payrol, warranty,
repeatability, etc. That's the cool part about a hobby over a job.

Yes. Definitely. My edges of my blade guard hood won't be clean-enough
to sell at Walmart. The only edge that really count on my blade guard
hood are the ones that touch the wood. The rest are cosmetic. OTOH, I
was just reading how a board on a piece of furniture that *looks* like
it has been worked to be smooth is a sign of higher quality than a truly
smooth board.

Really??? What Asshole said that? Remember opinions are like assholes.
LOOKS like is better than one that is??? WTF

Yes, quit planing, sanding, scraping or whatever it is you're doing
before it looks too perfect! ; )

Bill

Cheers,
Bill