View Single Post
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster

Default PING Chairman - OT

On Saturday, December 21, 2013 12:46:14 AM UTC-6, ChairMan wrote:
I haven't used one per say, but do they have pic of it on their site?

No, they don't have a pic. Dali said he'd get a pic and email it, with discussion, for the application I described to him, since there are different folders.

It seems that some fabrics work better than others....won't remain lined up properly.... ex partner - used one but he didn't like it because it didn't sew it tight enough for him.

Even folding by hand, my latest thick fabric didn't tuck tight enough. The jig I made didn't quite tuck it tight enough, either, but was an improvement to my hand-making process.... My jig didn't keep the fabric aligned, it would skew to one side. Seems a thin roller would have helped tuck the fabric into the fold, better than my finger, which was too far from the sewing machine needle. A thin disc roller could be placed closer to the needle, preventing the cord from relaxing/become loose, again, just before it gets sewn. With the Christmas rush of projects, I didn't have time to try to fabricate another design, incorporating a roller.

Same as you, I use 4/32 and spring twine for hand folded double cording. Yeah, tightness and consistency is my concern when using any folder accessory.

I don't have any type of accessory for any trim making. All my fabricating is by hand, since I do upholstery as a hobby. If I were in business, I'd probably have other accessories.

This holiday season, I took on more projects, than normal, and was huffing and puffing to get them done before Christmas. I suppose you have customers who want things done for their holidays. I would have preferred to be hunting or hanging out with the guys, rather than doing this upholstery. My last 2 chairs, delivered yesterday, was covered with really thick fabric, with 120' of single cording.... I've never had a project with so much cording.

I 'd like to hear your results if you try one

Will do. The furniture manufacurers have to have something that works perfectly, since they make miles of cording, so there has to be some accessory that works properly, unless they use dedicated cording machines.

I've got one of these, but honestly I haven't used it yet http://www.rowleycompany.com/product...ape-Folder.asp

I watched a video of its use (I Googled, further, for the video). With your other comments, I'm gleaning ideas of how to improve my (last minute) cording jig. Now that I'm finished with the holiday rush, I have the time to rework my jig making. Maybe, rather than a thin roller, the video gave me the idea of a flexible skinny finger extension, to hold the cord firmly into the fold, even closer to the needle, than a thin disc roller would have done.

I had expected to hear from Dali, yesterday. He seemed eager to help. I'll keep you updated.

Sonny