Posted to rec.woodworking
ChairMan[_6_] ChairMan[_6_] is offline

Default PING Chairman - OT

Sonny wrote:
Chairman, I think you are in the Dallas area. Do you, have
you, ever
used a folding machine for making your welt cording
applications? If
so, how well do they work? *It's actually an accessory to
your
standard upholstery sewing machine.

I spoke with Dali, at Dema Industrial Sewing (in
Lancaster/Dallas
area) http://www.sewingindustrialmachines.com/
I sent him an email with my use/needs info. As best I
understood
him, he said there is such a machine and there are
different ones for
the different cording applications, including double
welting, and
that they run about $100, or there about.

Do you have any experience/feedback you could offer,
regarding these
machines? I could benefit with one, for speeding-up my
long lengths
of cord making/sewing, especially for thicker fabrics,
rather than
using my present (slow) hand-fold/hand-feed method.

I tried making a jig and it fed both the fabric and cord
okay, but
there was no good control of the fabric feed. The fabric
would not
remain lined up properly. So, I'm looking for something
more
appropriate, something that works.

Sonny

I haven't used one per say, but do they have pic of it on
their
site? I looked a little bit but didn't see one. I looked on
e-bay, too, but didn't see anything but binding folders.
I use a guy here in Dallas at
http://www.sunnyindustrialsewingmachines.com/
I've used a couple of folders for ties, but end up going
back to my old way by hand. It seems that some fabrics work
better than others in the folders and they just seem to get
in my way.
As you said, some fabrics won't remain lined up properly.
When fabrics are cut on the bias, they all react differently
when sewing them
I asked my ex partner about them and he said he's used one
but he didn't like it because it didn't sew it tight enough
for him.
On the other hand, his brother swears by his, But I don't
see how it could fold it tight enough to keep it consistent
When it comes to double welt, I'll only use 4/32" welt cord
or even spring twine to keep the bulk down on heavier
fabrics, some fabrics you just can't make double welt with
and just have to use gimp, decorative tape or nailheads. Are
you using the twin welt or 2 single cords? I like to use 2
singles personally because that way with heavier fabrics I
can use the 4/32 on one side and the spring twine on the
side that has the extra bit of fabric.
It's harder on my hands, but I like the results better
HTH

I 'd like to hear your results if you try one
I've got one of these, but honestly I haven't used it yet
http://www.rowleycompany.com/product...ape-Folder.asp