Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Blade guard

Bill wrote:

I don't doubt Swingman for a second. But after looking at $70 router
bits (w/bearing), one become curious what they might accomplish with a
BS and emery cloth. Even with a good router bit, the result would
depend on making a good template. And this is a "One-of"-project. With
the "naive approach", I would double-face tape two pieces together and
cut and sand to the line. Please assess.

Some of these thoughts simply come down to different approaches Bill. Karl
is in business. Time is very important to him. As well - the accuracy of
the finished product. On the other hand - for you it's a hobby... or
becoming a hobby. Therefore, you can afford to take approaches that are
more labor intensive, take longer, and might now yield quite the same
finish.

I fabricate a lot of things out of a lot of different materials (though I've
never worked in lexan), and most times I have no template of any kind to go
by, so I can't use automated processes. It would take me too long to get to
that point to make it worth the while. So - I wing it and hand-dangle it in
the way you are suggesting. With a bit of practice, you can get pretty good
at fabbing this way. At least - for a one off need. Nothing saying you
can't turn out a perfectly acceptable product with your approach. It's just
a different approach.

You'll find yourself discovering unforseen hurdles in what appears to be
simple milling work - but that's what we all go through in either approach.
No big deal. I'd encourage you to go ahead with your double side tape
approach. Hell - when I make my inserts for my table saw, I can only get so
far using the factory insert as a guide, and then I have to do 80% of the
work by bringing it to fit with my belt sander mounted in a vise. Just go
slow and easy and don't try to get it all in one smooth pass - that just
won't happen. Good lighting, a constant watchful eye, a careful approach to
the work, and you can make this happen.

Just be thankful you don't have the issues that Karl has to worry about -
payrol, warranty, repeatability, etc. That's the cool part about a hobby
over a job.

--

-Mike-