Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Smart Meters

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 01:01:36 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/19/2013 10:35 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 21:54:43 -0600, The Daring Dufas

In article , The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/18/2013 7:35 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 18:44:59 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

You must be special. I have a smart meter and STILL have
a meter reader. The meter has a wireless 48 GB
transmitter, the truck driver drives by and collects the
meter reading.

Do you think the utility is reading a smart meter from
the home office, remotely? Don't think so...unless
something is special.

Did you mean 48ghz or 4.8ghz rather than 48 GB? Some of the
smart meters are on a peer to peer network where the data
from each meter is picked up by the next one and
information is spread through the network bouncing from
meter to meter until it gets to a main node for collection
by the power company. It depends what system you're on but
it's my understanding that the way many smart meters work
is that they're on a mesh network with other smart meters.
^_^

TDD

I checked. And I mispoke; I was looking at the gas meter
which says 40GB. Made by ITRON ? The installer told me the
battery would last ~ 15 years. I think the meter just
transmits when the truck drives by, around the 'hood and
pings it or sends a packet requesting the data from the
meter.

Sorry for the confusion.

Q. What is a smart meter? A. Smart meters are digital devices
that collect energy-use data and, unlike traditional meters,
transmit and receive data, too. Electric energy use will be
recorded every 15 minutes to provide an accurate view of your
daily energy patterns.

Thanks for making me look :-/

I want sane people to correct me when I'm mistaken and I thank
them for educating me. It's just one way I can learn because it
will make go research it for myself and I wind up knowing more
about the subject than I did before. I'm never nasty to anyone
when they have it wrong unless it's one of the P.L.L.C.F.
because they're convinced they're always right, err, I mean
left. ^_^

TDD

there you go calling krwd a leftie again

I have no idea whether he's right handed or left handed. ^_^

Bite your tongue! I am always right. Malformed is always lying.

There is always that right brain or left brain thing. I suppose you
could say someone is not in their right mind. ^_^

Indeed. His mind got too bored and left.