Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default OT bags

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 18:12:41 +0000, alan wrote:

Occasionally (a new) one doesn't and short of picking up each item

and
lobbing straight into the trolly you don't stand a chance of

keeping up
with them.

If every supermarket adopted that policy by default they could get rid
of 50% of their till staff and reduce prices of the goods that they sell
by 10%.

I'd rather pay the 10% and not have damaged groceries because they
haven't been handled properly. It also gives some one a job, which is
another reason I boycott, as much as I can, self service checkouts
and pay at pump.

The big supermarkets will soon start adopting the same time/cost saving
measures as used in Aldi/Lidl ...

The checkout operators still pace to the customer, there is little
point in doing otherwise. If I start getting rushed by the operator,
I don't like it and will think twice about shopping there again. If
it became a store policy I would stop shopping there.

... who have seen an increase of sales by around 30% this year.

I doubt that is down to not giving away bags or rushing people at the
checkout. In fact I find Aldi ones slower than Tesco as the Aldi
operator will engage in conversation with almost every customer. Some
customers have trouble packing and talking at the same time...

--
Cheers
Dave.