Posted to rec.woodworking
FrozenNorth[_4_] FrozenNorth[_4_] is offline

Default Newsreader Needed

On 12/20/2013 2:53 PM, Jack wrote:
On 12/10/2013 2:17 PM, Swingman wrote:

This latest version (24.1.1) of TB is ****ing me off. Unstable, not
responding from the simple saving of an email to a storage folder, etc.
Most problematic version I've had on this Win7 box in a good while.

Feels like it may be an add-on/Filter issues, but they all show as
compatible, and the few add-ons/Filters I need is what makes TB usable
for me.

Been using FF and TB since they were Netscape. TB started doing stupid
*Major* updates a long time ago. By major, I mean it took years to go
from version 2 to version 3, and then to version 24 in the blink of an
eye . I quit upgrading at version 14, recognizing that TB worked
perfectly for me before the last slew of upgrades that seemed to do
nothing other than break some add-ons/Filters.

I seem to recall that along with the upgrades, other stuff was being
installed unless you overtly chose to not install stuff. I don't recall
what stuff, but Google search bar, AVG, McAfee virus stuff come to mind.
It's been a while since I upgraded, so I could be wrong, but I think
they were one group that was doing this. So I figure the reason they do
constant upgrades is not to help you out, but to get other stuff installed.

My recommendation is once you get an upgrade that works perfectly STOP
upgrading. That's what I did at version 14, and it works perfectly fine
on my win7 64 bit machine. I will not upgrade until something comes
along I need, which is not likely any time soon.

Over the years I've experienced plenty of software "upgrades" that were
worse than what they upgraded, often breaking the older stuff
completely. In the old days, bug fixes and little tweaks were in
decimals. I figure TB should be at version 4.24 not 24

If anyone can tell me what version 24 does that 14 doesn't do, I'm
listening.

They are more or less keeping it in sync with Firefox, which is on a
three month release cycle, and since they share a lot of codeit makes
sense from a developer perspective. There isn't much being done to TB
these days, other than getting to new HTML engine to work with it as FF
progresses.

The version numbering thing was started by Google's Chrome project which
is on a similar release cycle.

--
Froz...