Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Furnace won't restart

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 06:26:29 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 12/19/2013 09:43 PM, micky wrote:
On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 21:51:05 -0500, wrote:

As I said, I was looking for a problem that would let it run for 2 or
6 hours, but then fail, and I'm wondering if perhaps the ignition
TRANSFORMER could fail when it gets hot enough?

At any rate, I replaced it yesterday afternoon, with one from my
neighbor's old furnace, and its been running, with normal pauses, from
5:30 last night to 8:30 this morning, that's 15 hours. Maybe it will
last all winter. So far no more changes to the nozzle or the
electrodes have been required, but running 15 hours is not the same as
running for 4 months.

OTOH, I thought about replacing the transformer a few years ago when I
had some trouble getting the furnace to run after changing the nozzle.
But I didn't change it and I wish I could remember what I did that
time, since I had no more trouble, other than replacing the nozzle,
for a few years.

As I said, the problem is in the ceramic insulators, there is a small
hole in one or both .(Very small and possibly not easy to see) They only
cost a few bucks...replace them both and get a few spares.

Quite possibly damaged the insulators when bending the electrodes

Where do you buy insulators?

Any oil-furnace supplier would have them and they really should have
been replaced when the electrodes were replaced or adjusted.

One or two servicemen left behind old insulators, and maybe electrodes
or the long copper part that touches the ignition transformer, but
that's out of 10 or more servicemen who were here. As the years went
on, the servicemen who came here did a worse and worse job.
Specificaly, not using a combustion gauge, just their eyes if that, to
adjust the fire, and one just taped up the barometric damper, which I
read this week is a stupid thing to do.

I knew by the time they were done that they hadn't done it right but I
thought it was too late to complain, because if I did, they'd just
resentfullly stick the gauge in the flue, pretend to fiddle with the
air, and leave.

I should have said what I wanted when I called the place for a
cleaning, so they'd tell the guy not to do a sloppy job, but I ended
up just doing it myself.

AFAICT only one oil company on the north or west side of this city has
more than an oil terminal., actually has an office where they have
parts, and maybe I'm too timid, but I've always felt lucky they sell
them to me. Without trying to sign me up for oil or repairs.

I still don't think they have pinholes but they are oil-stained. It
doesn't wipe off but would probably scrape off with a knife. I'm
sure you'd say not to do that but to buy new, right???

I will get new insulators, before I replace the nozzle again.

(Actually I was going to replace the furnace about 2 years ago, but
circumstances have interfered. I will when I can.)

Thanks, and thanks Clare.