Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Smart Meters

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 21:54:43 -0600, The Daring Dufas

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 12/18/2013 7:35 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 18:44:59 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

You must be special. I have a smart meter and STILL have a meter
reader. The meter has a wireless 48 GB transmitter, the truck driver
drives by and collects the meter reading.

Do you think the utility is reading a smart meter from the home
office, remotely? Don't think so...unless something is special.

Did you mean 48ghz or 4.8ghz rather than 48 GB? Some of the smart meters
are on a peer to peer network where the data from each meter is picked
up by the next one and information is spread through the network
bouncing from meter to meter until it gets to a main node for collection
by the power company. It depends what system you're on but it's my
understanding that the way many smart meters work is that they're on a
mesh network with other smart meters. ^_^

TDD

I checked. And I mispoke; I was looking at the gas meter which says
40GB. Made by ITRON ? The installer told me the battery would last ~
15 years. I think the meter just transmits when the truck drives by,
around the 'hood and pings it or sends a packet requesting the data
from the meter.

Sorry for the confusion.

Q. What is a smart meter?
A. Smart meters are digital devices that collect energy-use data and,
unlike traditional meters, transmit and receive data, too. Electric
energy use will be recorded every 15 minutes to provide an accurate
view of your daily energy patterns.

Thanks for making me look :-/

I want sane people to correct me when I'm mistaken and I thank them for
educating me. It's just one way I can learn because it will make go
research it for myself and I wind up knowing more about the subject than
I did before. I'm never nasty to anyone when they have it wrong unless
it's one of the P.L.L.C.F. because they're convinced they're always
right, err, I mean left. ^_^

TDD

there you go calling krwd a leftie again

I have no idea whether he's right handed or left handed. ^_^

Bite your tongue! I am always right. Malformed is always lying.