Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Blade guard

On 12/19/2013 5:55 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 16:26:20 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 12/19/2013 4:22 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 15:29:19 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

If you're on the left side of the blade, aren't you tending to pinch
the board into the blade when you're close to the end of a rip?

No.

On
the right side of the fence, you're tending to push the side of the
board that's against the fence rather than the side that's against the
blade.

I beg to differ. You "tend" to do no such thing. You might do such as a
matter of practice, but that is very different from you "tend" to do. I do
not think there is any such tendency to push left or right no matter which
side you stand on. I know that I am always pushing into the fence.

You're pushing the same direction; against the fence. The difference
is that the left side of the board is pinching the blade, too.

Actually the left side of the wood only pinches the blade if your fence
is not parallel to the blade, skewed away from the blade on the back
side of the blade. Or if you are incorrectly pushing the wood from the
left side after it has passed the front of the blade.

Huh? The fence on that SS is on the right side of the blade, no? The
issue isn't the alignment at all.

The issue I'm talking about is when you get to the end of the board,
which side of the blade are your finners (push stick) on?

Right side of the blade.

I say it
should be on the right side of the blade so the board is being held
against the blade, rather then the left side so you're holding the
board against the blade.

Yes, correct but I can do that by standing on the left side of the blade.