Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default LED bulbs - work with X-10 ?

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 16:13:03 -0500, Lee B
wrote:

I have an older assortment of x10 modules. Obviously, they work with
incandescent bulbs, but not so well with CFLs. (I did buy 1 of the new
appliance modules with no local control and that does work with the CFL).

Anyone know if the LED bulb would work with an old fashioned lamp
module? And would it be the dimming function work with them? With the
LED prices getting better, it might be cheaper to buy those than to buy
new appliance modules.

Can one dim an LED? Two ways to dim that I know of, put a resistor
in series with the lamp, or turn the lamp off part of the time while
applying full voltage the rest of the time. Or with incandescent,
put a diode in the circuit.

What does X-10 do? If it has only one level of dimming, it's
probably a diode. I don't think a diode will dim another diode,
even a Light Emitting Diode.