Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

Default Turntable feedback from nearby speaker

wrote in message

I've just gotten finished, (or so I thought) upgrading and servicing all the
equipment in my entertainment center. I just replaced my mediocre speakers
with a pair of nice 12 inch JBL's that were abandoned in the building we
just bought. My turntable is an old Thorens belt drive, supported with a
spring arrangement that I thought would absorb any vibration. The turntable
is in a cabinet about a foot off the floor and right next to the left
channel speaker. If I crank up the volume when listening to a record there
is distortion, the severity directly proportional to the increase in volume.
At first I wasn't certain about this but you can actually "feel" the
vibrations on the turntable base. There are these springs supporting the
platter and arm and these springs are "stuffed" with a foam material but
this vibration is coming through anyway. I know that one solution is to
relocate the speaker however the room is not large enough to do this. I was
thinking of putting foam under the speaker which would be easy and perhaps
even a soft foam block under the turntable as well but I'm afraid that
trying to support and level a turntable supported like this could be a
nightmare. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Lenny

It's been common practice for decades now in nightclubs, to sit the Technics
1210 turntables on a heavy slab of whatever material is available, to reduce
such feedback from large PA systems in close proximity.

I think Jurb's advice is well worth trying. You might find the turntable
is currently in one of the room's many resonant bass peaks, and reversing
overall phase might put it in a trough.
Or you could move the turntable and speakers as much as is possible to try
and get them out of this peak, perhaps reversing phase as well to see what
works best.

As Jurb implies, it is always possible you are in a trough already, and
anything you try could make things worse, but that would be the absolute
worst case scenario.

Gareth.