Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Blade guard

Leon wrote:
On 12/19/2013 12:58 PM, Bill wrote:
Sonny wrote:
Belaboring dust collection: My suggestion to Bill would be to not
bother with dust collection above the table top, but do get a blade
guard. If you were doing production work, there would be a good
reason to have the dust collected above the blade. For hobby work,
invest in a dust brush, broom & dust pan.... and wear goggles or a
face shield, if the dust flies in your face. Your saw is mobile, so
I'd suppose you may be using the saw near the garage door, or at least
out in the open, convenient to clean up scattered dust from the top.
If need be, add a dust port to the guard, later. For the time being,
get the saw in safe working order and start doing some woodwork.
Spend the proposed dust collection money on lumber, for now.

Screw that dust port. Let's cut some boards.

Sonny

Yes, I agree with your spirit. The morning I am thinking of a structure
based on a "quilt rack" model--upside down "T" ends, as legs, with a
mast of of 3/4" steel square tubing.
To that I can attach a Loxan polycarbonate box (blade cover), with
hinged front, sides and back--like the box in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxZOO_zcpNM

As you suggest, I can always improve upon it.

A dust brush came with the saw, and I already have the broom, dust pan
and face shield! : )

Bill here is what my woodworking has evolved down to.

I used to over think the possibilities and the what if's.

With experience I have learned to gravitated towards not over thinking
and simply building something. You will learn what has more
importance to you as you become more experienced and can adjust
methods and equipment accordingly. The important thing is to actually
create something and don't worry too much about the dust. Chances are
if you try to prevent sawdust you might spend way too much time doing
so and maybe not be needing to do so. Assess your needs after you make
your mess. ;!)

The "mess" is not a concern at all. It just makes sense to use a blade
cover. Like krw mentioned, my "O-Rings" would crack up here! I spent
several hours yesterday thinking about blade covers. Some
"engineering-like" thinking too.
Folks act like I'm sitting on my hands. Evidently, I need to learn to
work Lexan Polycarbonate! It's sort of like wood, except you can see
through it!

Bill