Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default Solid Modeling For The Home Shop Machinist

On 12/19/2013 1:27 PM, jon_banquer wrote:
I'm of the opinion that every home shop machinist can benefit from solid modeling.

One of the major benefits of solid modeling is the ability to create
assemblies/use mating.

The problem is cost. What are the alternatives available to expensive mid-range modelers

like SolidWorks, Autodesk Inventor, Solid Edge, etc. that offer assembly
modeling functionality?
It seems like $2,0000 is the entry level price for a product that has
assembly/mating.

Suggestions for CAD solid modeling that has assembly functionality that's more affordable?

There is that old oats and horse question again, jon.
Better quality oats always command a higher price.

How much photo-realism is enough for what you want to make?

Design CAD 3D max. (Again) $69 at Frys.
All I DO know is that I can draw up my stuff, fair surfaces,
check for fit, print full sized patterns,
and in the end end up with pretty close to what I drew.

Get the CAM package too?