Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee B Lee B is offline

Default Credit Card Magnetic Strip Doesn't Work Unless....

On 12/19/2013 8:46 AM, Norminn wrote:
Card doesn't work when "swiped" through the machine unless one covers it
with plastic....one cashier suggested putting plastic grocery sack
around the card and then swipe it, and it worked. Any idea why this
works? (We've requested a replacement card).

Our id badges at work are also smart cards. We can "charge" meals on
them in the cafeteria in which case the card gets swiped, and they also
are used for access to various areas of the hospital with some sort of
proximity sensor.

The swipey part of mine started deteriorating a while ago. It would work
in some registers, but not others, and it wasn't always consistent as to
which ones it preferred. I had no problem with the access readers.

The cashiers in the cafeterias would routinely try to use the plastic
bag trick with varying results. I would have requested a new card except
that our security office's policy was that they would charge me $10 to
replace it, the same as if I'd lost my badge. However they don't charge
for broken/damaged cards. Needless to say, eventually my card had an
unfortunate encounter with a pair of scissors and "broke".

BTW, my sympathies for having the card break at this time of year. I had
a credit card do that shortly before Christmas many years ago, and it
was a major hassle. Even though, according to the cc company, the
cashiers could type the number in, they all acted like that was an alien
concept.