Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Blade guard

On Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:03:27 AM UTC-6, k
Not to belabor the point but I think this discussion is worth having... If you're on the left side of the blade, aren't you tending to pinch the board into the blade when you're close to the end of a rip? On the right side of the fence, you're tending to push the side of the board that's against the fence rather than the side that's against the blade.

I would think the side one stands on is partially (high percentage) determined by whether the person is right handed or left handed and which side/position is comfortable to the person. There is no correct or incorrect side, as per the saw or fence, itself.

Belaboring dust collection: My suggestion to Bill would be to not bother with dust collection above the table top, but do get a blade guard. If you were doing production work, there would be a good reason to have the dust collected above the blade. For hobby work, invest in a dust brush, broom & dust pan.... and wear goggles or a face shield, if the dust flies in your face. Your saw is mobile, so I'd suppose you may be using the saw near the garage door, or at least out in the open, convenient to clean up scattered dust from the top. If need be, add a dust port to the guard, later. For the time being, get the saw in safe working order and start doing some woodwork. Spend the proposed dust collection money on lumber, for now.

Screw that dust port. Let's cut some boards.

Sonny