Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Leaking Flat roof where joins roof tiles

Steve Jones wrote:
I have a dormer window with a flat roof above then roof tiles. When
ever we get strong wind and rain from a particular direction I get
water coming into the bedroom. I have decided this is because the
roof felt does not go very far under the roofing tiles and rise up
the battons above it, only about 50mm so I think I need to glue some
felt to it to extend it up and behind the roofing tiles (Double
Roman). Flat roof is about 3m wide so I basically need a piece of
felt about 3M by 0.2M I would guess, maybe Self-Adhesive Flashing
tape or torcheable felt?
Any ideas would be appreciated, the other complication is that I have
solar panels above that need to be unclipped to access the first row
of tiles. These seem to be bolted to the support brackets and I
believe plugged together.Access is easy so I am assuming I can turn
off at the inverter and temporarily unscrew and place on the flat
roof while I work (wearing insulating gloves and a cloudy day)
Any help would be appreciated.

whatever you decide to use, it needs to go *underneath* the roofing felt
that is under the tiles - gluing something on top will never work as this
felt takes any water that gets through cracked tiles / gaps etc further up
the roof - indeed, this is where your leak may already be coming in and not
what's 'blowing under' from the flat roof....the chances are, if it's only
been happening recently, that the solar panel installers have cracked a tile
or two higher up.