Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] captainvideo462009@gmail.com is offline

Default Turntable feedback from nearby speaker

I've just gotten finished, (or so I thought) upgrading and servicing all the equipment in my entertainment center. I just replaced my mediocre speakers with a pair of nice 12 inch JBL's that were abandoned in the building we just bought. My turntable is an old Thorens belt drive, supported with a spring arrangement that I thought would absorb any vibration. The turntable is in a cabinet about a foot off the floor and right next to the left channel speaker. If I crank up the volume when listening to a record there is distortion, the severity directly proportional to the increase in volume. At first I wasn't certain about this but you can actually "feel" the vibrations on the turntable base. There are these springs supporting the platter and arm and these springs are "stuffed" with a foam material but this vibration is coming through anyway. I know that one solution is to relocate the speaker however the room is not large enough to do this. I was thinking of putting foam under the speaker which would be easy and perhaps even a soft foam block under the turntable as well but I'm afraid that trying to support and level a turntable supported like this could be a nightmare. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Lenny