Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless,alt.ham-radio
Danny D.[_2_] Danny D.[_2_] is offline

Default Can you help me interpret this spectrum analysis noise plot?

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 01:48:13 +0000, Danny D'Amico wrote:

Here is the "waterfall" plot:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7299/1...48f3922e_o.jpg

Here is the "channel" plot:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7310/1...e93b109b_o.jpg

Here's a site survey:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5484/1...32590c4f_o.png

And, here's a view of the rooftop radio signal to noise strength:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7380/1...0692ea50_o.png

I found a good description of the three (actually four) plots he
http://wiki.ubnt.com/Best_channel_using_airview

The Waterfall chart is a time-based graph showing the aggregate
energy collected over time for each frequency, where colder colors
indicate lower energy levels & warmer colors mean higher energy
levels at that frequency bin.

My Waterfall chart shows relatively cool colors (low energy) over
all the bands except those surrounding 802.,11n channel 2 & 10,
which are the two channels of the WISP antennas facing me:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7299/1...48f3922e_o.jpg

The Channel Usage chart, each Wi-Fi channel is represented by a
bar displaying a percentage showing the relative "crowdedness"
of that specific channel. This percentage is calculated based
on both the popularity and the strength of RF energy in that
channel.

My Channel Usage chart shows that the channel usage is between
5% and 10% where I live. I don't know if that is a high or low
number, but, it *seems* low, simply based on percentages.

In my case, the channel usage is again highest in the channels
that the WISP has an antenna aimed at me, namely channel 2 and
10; but the chart also shows relatively high usage in channel
1 & 3, and in 8, 9, & 11. The lowest usage is in channels 4, 5,
6, and 7, so, I guess that's where I'd put my home broadband
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7310/1...e93b109b_o.jpg

The middle chart in both those screenshots above is the
Waveform chart. Just like the Waterfall chart, this time-based
graph shows aggregate energy where the color of the energy
indicates amplitude.

It also shows the signal strength humping around WiFi channels
2 and 10, which are the two antennas from my WISP facing me.
Oddly, it also shows red areas in the middle bands, which makes
no sense to me unless they're instantaneous and short lived
bursts of energy (perhaps from cellphones or microwaves?).

The bottom chart in both those screenshots is the Real-time
chart which shows what a traditional Spectrum Analyzer would
display in energy (in dBm) as a function of frequency.

The blue trace is called "Max Hold" of maximum power levels
across the frequency. The green trace is the average energy
across frequency. And the yellow line is the real-time energy.