Posted to sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default 220 to 110 autotransformer being given away

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 07:35:44 -0800, dave
wrote:

On 12/16/2013 07:18 AM, dave wrote:
On 12/16/2013 06:15 AM, micky wrote:
Someone on Freecycle is giving away an autotransformer. with
220/240-volt input and single 110-120-volt output. 1-Amp fuse. Made in
England.

Do I have any use for that for repair work or anything? Since there
is already 120 in the house, I don't think so, but in the picture it
looks like new. ;-)

What are they used for?

I think the description is faulty an autoformer with 240Vac winding and
120Vac winding doesn't make any sense. It would go from zero to 250 or
so or zero to 140 or so. are you sure it only has one winding?

There was a picture and it clearly said autotransformer, no capital a,
in big letters.

I'm in the US btw, if anyone thought otherwise.

If it's an isolation transformer the numbers make more sense and it is
very valuable on a bench.

Yeah, I've wanted one of those for a long time. I'm still alive so
no harm done. ;-)