Posted to sci.electronics.repair
dave dave is offline

Default beware of the updates you install

On 12/18/2013 06:46 AM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"dave" wrote in message
m...
On 12/18/2013 03:00 AM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"josephkk" wrote in message

More a different world view than a comparable situation.
Such is FOSS vs M$ viewpoint.

What's wrong with making money? Profit should be a strong spur to
producing the best-possible product. Of course, that assumes you /want/
to produce the best-possible product.

Profit actually forces companies to cut corners, advertise more and
apply the monopolistic pressures described upstream, rather than put
more resources actually into a product.

Other than honesty and conscientiousness, how does /not/ making money
encourage someone to produce high-quality open-source software?

For the fun of it? To mock Microsoft and Apple? Because they are true
artists? Most of them take donations; some are underwritten.

I like the free software because I enjoy messing with computers and do
not want to beg over the phone for a new 20 digit code every time I
brick one and have to start over.