Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why aluminum paint?

On 18 Dec 2013 04:53:45 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2013-12-17, dpb wrote:

Well ... the experience my friend had would have been in the
early 1960s, I think. (I never asked him, but he had a summer job in
the hardware store at the time, and I knew him first a few years later
at work.

And I've never seen a label on the paint warning about shaking
it, but I *have* seen such a warning label about aluminum paint on a
paint shaker bolted to a vertical floor-to-ceiling I-beam at work (a
later job) This was one of the kind which cranks two flat plates down on
each end of the can and shakes it around a horizontal axis through the
middle of the can half way between the two ends.

Do you recall what it said? What type of warning was it? Mess or
explosion?

I don't know if there is more than one type of Al paint where there's a
significant difference in the makeup or not. I'd guess these go back to
around the late '70s/early '80s --

While his experience was (as mentioned above) likely in the
early 1960s.

[ ... ]

I'd like to see a real explanation--a quick search on manufacturers'
sites didn't bring anything to light.

I would too. But the one about the "tung oil" makes a certain
amount of sense.

I know people who have had smoldering fires from catalyzing oil finish
rags, so it's not just hearsay. I dry mine on the sidewalk for a week
before putting them in a trash can. Why take chances? When they're
hard, they're safe. Wet and crumpled, they get hot to the touch. My
first clue was picking up a hot rag in a cold shop. That brought the
warning home to me.

My two favorite wood finishes, Watco and Waterlox, are both catalyzing
oils and prone to that.

--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington