Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default sewer collapse question

In article ,
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

I wonder though if the city was actually cautioning him about the storm
sewers. Floor drain in the basement is generally (again GENERALLY) not
supposed to be tied in the the sanitary sewer line which is vent,
however it if is -as may well be the case here (hence the city's
concern) - I don't think that that sewer drain is tied into the vent
stack in the house. Perhaps it's supposed to be but I've seen too many
where it's not.

The email from the city specifcially mentioned waste water sewer and
warned of sewer gasses getting into house. Wouldn't both of those
together indicate not a storm sewer??

If I was the original poster, I would check to make sure there's water
in the p-traps and if I wasn't absolutely sure that the basement drain
was NOT connected to the affected line, I'd install a pressure plug
until the crisis passed so that whether they suck the line clear or try
to blow it clear, the crap would take the path of least resistance and
not fill up my basement.

How would I do that?
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²