Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

Default beware of the updates you install

"josephkk" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 04:37:07 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

PC makers include Windows because Microsoft used monopolistic
methods to crush any competition.

This was true in the days of MS-DOS, when Microsoft obliged computer
makers to put DOS on all their machines, if they wanted a license.
Microsoft took a lot of flak for that, and it eventually ended. I don't
believe it occurs with Windows.

Incorrect. I personally got hit with a M$ windows version that refused to
run on top of DRDOS. And the practice continues until today. M$ actually
lost the lawsuit that time because they were too obvious.

Windows no longer runs on top of DOS. So how does it still occur?

By the way, I misstated. Microsoft did not require computer makers to put DOS
on all their machines. Rather, they had to pay the licensing fee for every
machine, whether or not it had DOS on it.

Let's not forget that Apple has a monopoly on its hardware and OS.