Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why aluminum paint?

On 2013-12-17, dpb wrote:
On 12/17/2013 12:19 AM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

Not saying anything about the mechanism, but it *does* happen.
Here is a report (from some not very specific time in the past):

http://www.handymanclub.com/connect/forums/aft/40499

I've got some new old (Co-op brand, even ) Al paint still around --
so I went and looked at one. There's nothing on the cans about not
shaking. I've not used a lot but did a little touchup with one a few
years ago. AFAICT they're still as good as new despite the age as far
as appearance in can and behavior in use goes. I didn't drive to town
to put one on the paint-store shaker but I did put it on the homebrew
vibrator I've cobbled together here out of an old combine pittman sickle
drive. It's not as fast and has a longer stroke compared to real shaker
but does get the stuff off the bottom...I don't remember noticing any
pressure after that when opening it (but then again I wasn't looking for
any as had never heard the stories/warnings).

Well ... the experience my friend had would have been in the
early 1960s, I think. (I never asked him, but he had a summer job in
the hardware store at the time, and I knew him first a few years later
at work.

And I've never seen a label on the paint warning about shaking
it, but I *have* seen such a warning label about aluminum paint on a
paint shaker bolted to a vertical floor-to-ceiling I-beam at work (a
later job) This was one of the kind which cranks two flat plates down on
each end of the can and shakes it around a horizontal axis through the
middle of the can half way between the two ends.

I don't know if there is more than one type of Al paint where there's a
significant difference in the makeup or not. I'd guess these go back to
around the late '70s/early '80s --

While his experience was (as mentioned above) likely in the
early 1960s.

[ ... ]

I'd like to see a real explanation--a quick search on manufacturers'
sites didn't bring anything to light.

I would too. But the one about the "tung oil" makes a certain
amount of sense.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--