Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless,alt.ham-radio
Danny D'Amico[_2_] Danny D'Amico[_2_] is offline

Default Can you help me interpret this spectrum analysis noise plot?

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 18:42:50 -0800, makolber wrote:

So what's the problem?
How much noise would you consider normal?
Thermal noise is -174 dBm per Hz
What's the bandwidth and noise figure of your receiver?
Mark

Q: What's the problem.
A: It's my understanding that every dB of noise reduces the dB of signal
by that amount. The less signal, the slower the Internet speeds.

Q: How much noise do you consider normal?
A: I have no idea. That's why I'm asking! Googling, I find you "should"
have about 20dB of headroom between noise & signal. My signal is about
-52dBm and my noise is -88dBm, so I'm within that range, but, my
signal to noise ratio is -52dBm - -88dBm = 36

Q: What's the bandwidth & noise figure of your receiver?
A: Googling for the "Rocket M2 bandwidth gain specifications", I find
this datasheet for a "RM2" receiver & "2G-24" 24dBi dish reflector:
http://www.balticnetworks.com/docs/rm_ds_web.pdf
Which says, on page 6:
Rocket M2, Operating Frequency 2412-2462 MHz
2.4 GHz RX POWER SPECIFICATIONS
llg = 1-24 Mbps = -97 dBm min +/- 2 dB
11g = 36 Mbps = -80 dBm +/- 2 dB
11g = 48 Mbps = -77 dBm +/- 2 dB
11g = 54 Mbps = -75 dBm +/- 2 dB
11n = MCS0 = -96 dBm +/- 2 dB
11n = MCS1 = -95 dBm +/- 2 dB
11n = MCS2 = -92 dBm +/- 2 dB
11n = MCS3 = -90 dBm +/- 2 dB
11n = MCS4 = -86 dBm +/- 2 dB
11n = MCS5 = -83 dBm +/- 2 dB
11n = MCS6 = -77 dBm +/- 2 dB
11n = MCS7 = -74 dBm +/- 2 dB
11n = MCS8 = -95 dBm +/- 2 dB
11n = MCS9 = -93 dBm +/- 2 dB
11n = MCS10 = -90 dBm +/- 2 dB === this is my channel
11n = MCS11 = -87 dBm +/- 2 dB
11n = MCS12 = -84 dBm +/- 2 dB
11n = MCS13 = -79 dBm +/- 2 dB
11n = MCS14 = -78 dBm +/- 2 dB
11n = MCS15 = -75 dBm +/- 2 dB

Given that my Rocket M2 is 11n MIMO, and on channel 10, I'd say
the receiver sensitivity is from -88 to -92 dBm.

Hmmm... I just noticed, that this is the same (essentially) as
my noise figure. But, I'm not sure what that tells me.