Posted to alt.home.repair
bud-- bud-- is offline

Default Breakers compatible with Federal Pacific Stab-Lok Load Center

On 12/16/2013 10:44 AM, Mis-application of listed appliances ---
inadequate branch circuit protection. wrote:
replying to bud-- , Mis-application of listed appliances --- inadequate
branch circuit protection. wrote:
null wrote:

(B-1 is protection of the cord of a listed device) Also B-3
(protection of listed extension cords). 15A receptacles are allowed on
20A circuits. You are saying that the listing requirements of devices
and extension cords with a 15A plug do not allow them on 20A circuits?
I see no reason to believe that is true (and it would be absurd).
Perhaps a cite? Try 110.2 (approved). "Listed" apparatus is normally
"approved" and 110.3-A (examination) would not normally be done. But
110.3-B (used in accordance with listing) is applicable. Fires are
likely from not using according to the instructions.

Let's say your listed device utilizes a power cord with a NEMA 5-15 plug,
and your branch circuit protection is rated at 20 amperes.

1) the listed device is rated for use from not more than a 15 ampere
circuit breaker (look at the ratings on extension cords).

Extension cords may have an amp rating that is the current the end user
can use the cord at. If there is a 15A rating that does not mean the
cord can not be used on a 20A circuit. The cord would have to be marked
"for use only on 15A circuits". I have never seen such a cord, and
considering the way UL and the NEC work I doubt they exist.

Now try to tell the Fire Marshall it's OK to interface "Listed" appliances
that utilize NEMA 5-15 plugs and cord sets with branch circuit protection
of 20-amperes.

Fire marshals can enforce UL requirements. Your opinion is not
consistent with UL requirements.

I've tried ... and I'm convinced all of the rework &
repair due to the hurricane damage in New Orleans is deficient ... and
that they still have latent shock and fire hazards due to their arrogance
and ignorance. We will always have fires at X-mas due to "overloading" as
long as they ignore the requirements. No one is held accountable.

Requirements are not being ignored. You just don't understand UL and NEC
requirements.

Anyone can submit a code change proposal.

And anyone can petition the UL to change their standards.

I am sure your proposals will be appropriately considered.