Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim jim is offline

Default CNC Homeshop Machining With A FADAC UMC10

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

jim fired this volley in news:ItydnZ_UiK-
:

So whatever you mean by prismatic, its not a concept
that CamBam recognizes.

Anyway, prismatic surfaces are not generally used for
mating surfaces. For example, irregular shaped parting surfaces.

Yes, Jim, I know the limitations of the machines and the tooling. I was
only commenting on the ability of the software to follow an arbitrary
curve. And if you weren't only trying to find fault with every comment,
you'd have to admit that an STL _can_ be as precise as you'd like to make
it. That introduces other overhead, but isn't by itself a factor that
limits accuracy. (time, yes; accuracy, no)

The mesh data can be made accurate, but it won't be tailored
to produce accurate toolpaths. And its still a huge
leap from having an ideal mesh model and making an
accurate part.

I already affirmed that 2.5D software can't (easily) do complex 3D mating
surfaces. Your comment was only a goad, to no purpose.

The use of the term 2.5D in CamBam refers to the type of
tool path (all surface cutting motion is restricted to 2d).

2.5d as used in CamBam does not refer to the shape or
complexity of the 3d surface. All it means is that the
software only supports 2-axis surfacing moves. CamBam may
be able to handle 2.5D geometry better than 3d geometry, but
I doubt it is much better at it because it has no way of telling
if the geometry is 2.5d

And yes, I know you don't know what 'prismatic' shapes are, or you'd
understand how real-world parts can be planned to part or mate on such
boundaries.

I said I don't know what you mean by prismatic because there
is no point in guessing. As far as i can tell, you believe
CamBam is accurate under some very limited conditions.

You howl like someone who's got 5-axis CNC at his disposal, but you
chitter like someone who's only citing what he's read, and never really
made any parts in a real shop, with 3-axis machinery.

That description sounds more like you.
I haven't made any claims.
We are talking about your claims, which seem to evaporate whenever
they are examined.

---