Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CNC Homeshop Machining With A FADAC UMC10

On Tuesday, December 17, 2013 5:27:00 AM UTC-8, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
jon_banquer fired this volley in

:

"As it pertains to the system you use (CAMBAM) does it offer rest

milling?"

I just forgot to respond to that. Why yes; it does have a feature like

that, although it wasn't name ReSt. It's called 'finishing MOps' in

CamBam.

Only stock that was not removed in prior Machining Operations is removed

in a finishing pass. The 'roughing' phase can be as fine as you wish,

with finishing removing as little as a fraction of a tenth, if you've got

the tools and machine to handle it.

It's not a dumb piece of hobby-soft, just low-priced, and missing many of

the 3D visualization tools that would be very nice to have.

Again... what's the price for a seat of FeatureCam? CamBam (alone, not

bundled with other software) is $149.

One thing I don't understand about the demo you showed us is why

FeatureCam would leave stock you wouldn't already know about? In CamBam,

if you specify a 'roughing' clearance, you can be certain there's exactly

that much material left for the Remaining Stock removal pass, except, of

course in corners that aren't over-cut, in which case the remaining stock

is a function of tool radius.

It almost appeared in the demo that one has to go FIND areas that aren't

finished in FeatureCam (using the model-check tool) ???

LLoyd

"Again... what's the price for a seat of FeatureCam?"

Price is often negotiable but it starts at thousands of dollars and goes up from there depending on what you need to program... lathe, mill/turn, 5 axis, wire EDM, tombstone machining, etc. It's usually cheaper than the market leading crapware... Mastercam and it's far better in every possible way.

I think the person who develops CamBam should think about offering a more expensive program that does more. He's obviously a very talented guy with lots of good ideas. I'm very impressed with the program for what it does and I've said as much frequently.

Any other specifics? I love specifics! I live for specifics!

I love the kind of specifics that a pathological liar like Mark Wieber can't ever answer because Mark Wieber has no experience as a CNC machinist, has never worked as a CNC machinist in a machining job shop, has no idea how modern high tech CNC machining job shops operate, has no idea of the kinds of tools modern high tech machining job shops need and use, can't do solid modeling, can't do surface modeling, has no understanding of doing anything but prismatic parts, has no idea what kind of tools are needed to do short run production work, etc.