Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim jim is offline

Default CNC Homeshop Machining With A FADAC UMC10

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

jim fired this volley in
:

One things for sure, you aren't cutting arbitrary 3d shapes to
0.0001" accuracy.

I don't know that CamBam _can't_ do that.

I know you don't know. But it definitely can't.

I know it has the mathematical
precision to manage it, but have never learnt enough of its 3D features
to know with what accuracy it mills 3D parts. But I have to ask this,
"Will FeatureCam do that?" If so, what's the cost per seat?

I don't think anyone has claimed FeatureCam can produce
arbitrary 3d shapes to .0001".

The Cam system is only one factor that contributes to
how accurately arbitrary 3d shapes can be reproduced by
the milling process. The average CNC milling machine can't hold
that level of accuracy in cutting arbitrary 3d shapes.

A lot of what the intelligent 2.5D user does is to plan parts for 3D
space and volume functionality, and 2.5D fits. That is, prismatic
surfaces are employed for fit-ups. And, of course, pretty much any CAM
can do that precision of work on prismatic surfaces.

From the documentation, CamBam only works with imported 3d meshes
or 2d curves. That alone tells you what sort of accuracy to
expect. So whatever you mean by prismatic, its not a concept
that CamBam recognizes.

Anyway, prismatic surfaces are not generally used for
mating surfaces. For example, irregular shaped parting surfaces.

---