Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CNC Homeshop Machining With A FADAC UMC10

On Tuesday, December 17, 2013 4:02:05 AM UTC-8, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
jon_banquer fired this volley in news:2c291939-

:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSO0p0ebwWE

Jon,

As played in that light, Delcam has features that look pretty handy and

advanced, like the comparison check 'model to as-cut'. It also seems to

have MORE strategies for milling 3D surfaces than simpler packages. The

UI appears to be pretty smooth (can't say how 'intuitive').

All that said, much simpler, lower-cost 2.5D CAMs have much of that

capability. Again, I'll refer to CamBam, as being the one I'm most

familiar with.

At $300 (including the price of a bundled 3D cut simulator), CamBam can

do almost all of what I saw DelCam do _in_that_demo_. It has region-fill

and waterline 3D methods, just as those shown in the DelCam vid. It has

the ability to see the finished cut in 3D, and freely rotate it. It can

use different roughing and finishing strategies.

It is NOT 'feature based', but relies on the whole 3D volume for its cues

about how to approach surfaces and cut strategies.

So: Although what I saw of DelCam makes it very attractive in terms of

capabilities, you're not entirely correct that there aren't lower-end

'hobby' softwares out there that can do good 3D surfacing.

I won't drag him into this discussion unless he wishes to join, but

there's a frequent CamBam user here on r.c.m. who uses it to design molds

for casting commercial fishbaits. He uses CamBam's 3D methods

extensively, and they really seem to turn out nicely... his molds AND his

finished baits are successful.

LLoyd

You asked me for specifics and I gave you what you requested and more.

I ask you for specifics and I'm still waiting for the answer to what I asked you.

Here is exactly what I asked you:

"As it pertains to the system you use (CAMBAM) does it offer rest milling?"

If CamBam doesn't offer rest machining, it's not a CAM package I'd recommend anyone use for surfacing toolpath.