Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leif Neland Leif Neland is offline

Default 220 to 110 autotransformer being given away

John G har bragt dette til verden:
Leif Neland wrote :
John G sendte dette med sin computer:

A 240/120 Auto transformer is just a 240 volt winding with a tap halfway
up. Very dangerous if you take your 120 off the top half instead of 5the
bottom.

Why should that be dangerous?

Surely you do not rely on the which wire is live and which is neutral, and
have the neutral connected to the cabinet or something?

Or are your insulation so bad it cannot withstand 240 volt to ground?

Leif

All you say is correct BUT
If you assume the 120 volts is just like the normalUS supply rhen you could
get into trouble because connected to the top you now have 240 volts on one
line and 120 on the other instead of Ground or near enough on one and 120 on
the other.

Yeah, but do you say "This is the neutral connection, I can touch this
safely"?

Assume everything is "hot". Just like my father taught me: Check it is
unloaded, and then treat it as if it was loaded.

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.