J. Clarke

Default Newbie question: How to make finger joint cut

Andy Jeffries wrote:

Scott Kuhn wrote:
I've gotta cut about 40 of them soon (in 2x2 for making a frame) so I'll
be trying to find a repeatable method too. In fact, I'm probably just
going to cut them all by hand as:

a)I'm a bit shaky with a router (it is a very cheap router)

b)it's only for a frame underneath an MDF constructions.

I hope you'll let us know how it goes. I'd personally be happy to do
them by hand, it's quiet, safe, and satisfying, but I gotta admit, if
I can do them _better_ with a router....

I'm going up to my brother's on the 31st of the month. Over that
weekend I'll be cutting all those joints.

My current thoughts lie in using a Bench Saw I already own. It's a
weak-ass, small version of a table saw... but for 2x2 it should be fine.

Of course, because it's such a cheap tool it doesn't come with a mitre
sled, so I'll be using a T shaped construction as a mitre sled (using
the top of the T to slide along the left hand side of the table).

Read the "FWIW Kickback" thread currently active on this newsgroup. Lots of
discussion there about how to do this safely.

And... as the height isn't adjustable, I'll be placing all the bits to
be cut on top of some 18mm MDF (to raise the height so I can only cut
through half of the stock).

Whoa, STOP. I can't imagine any saw with a circular blade being quite
_that_ bad. Even the cheapest hand-held circular saws have a depth-of-cut
adjustment. DON'T use the saw you have until you've found that adjustment
or made _sure_ that it was never there or found out where it used to be--if
it's not there then odds are that some part of the mechanism is either
missing or busted off, and if that's the case then who knows what else may
be missing or busted? And using a busted saw is a very quick way to the
emergency room. If it _is_ there and you didn't know where then there may
be other important things you need to know about that saw before you use
it.

I'm not trying to rank on you but I think I speak for all of us when I say
that we'd rather have you come back on Monday and report that you found out
that the saw was busted than have you not come back at all because you are
in the hospital after the saw came apart on you in the middle of a cut.

Anyway, I will post back when I'm done....

Cheers,

Andy

--
--John