Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Small feeds on the lathe

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in
news:QvqdnVI_fvUeETLPnZ2dnUVZ_jadnZ2d@scnresearch. com:

Mostly (for hss) you just need to use an exceptionally hard and fine
grit polishing stick..

True enough, but most amateur folks (and more than I'd like to say of
professionals) don't have it in their dialog to hone the edge they've
just ground on a fairly coarse wheel.

You know that "feels sharp" isn't quite the same as "is uniformly sharp
across the edge".

I'm lucky to have a microscope with a good measuring graticule. If I
don't get what I need from a cutter, I _can_ examine it. Seldom is that
necessary, and it's a waste of time for most jobs. But if I want to take
off just swarf, it can be worthwhile to do. (and, completely eliminated
by buying good inserts).

Lloyd