Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Small feeds on the lathe

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in message . 3.70...
"Snag" fired this volley in news:lkuru.147492
:

Lloyd ,
re-read your statement about feed rate vs tool radius . I find I get

the
best finish if the tip radius is larger than the feed rate ...
--

And yes, you do require a larger tip radius than the feed rate.

http://classes.engr.oregonstate.edu/...nish%20lab.pdf

The thing about the edge radius is important, because most folks don't
have the ability to hand sharpen and hone a tool well enough to take off
a mere tenth.

Mostly (for hss) you just need to use an exceptionally hard and fine grit polishing stick..

I don't think I do anymore, and certainly not at the
cost/time of decent insert.

http://platit.com/files/Edge_Prepara...Diego_2007.pdf

LLoyd