Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Small feeds on the lathe

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
I put an motor-driven feed on my lathe
(http://www.MWDropbox.com/dropbox/ServoPowerFeed.pdf) which I built to
give a minimum feed of .003. I don't know why I chose that value - it's
probably the smallest that the change box will do.

I was just watching a Tubal Cain video on YouTube about the power feed he
put on an Atlas lathe. The Atlas gears only went down to .0046 (IIRC) and
he wanted much finer. (His other lathes went to .0016 & .00076.)

My first thought was to modify my feed to go much finer/slower. But I got
to thinking that there must be some limit. It seems that if the feed was
too fine the bit would just rub until enough feed had accumulated and then
the bit would bite and jump. And the bit's edge would be critical - razor
sharp or better.

How fine do you feed? What are the considerations in doing a very fine
feed?

I think I would use a nice sharp variable radius corner cutter.

---