Andy Jeffries

Default Newbie question: How to make finger joint cut

Scott Kuhn wrote:
I've gotta cut about 40 of them soon (in 2x2 for making a frame) so I'll
be trying to find a repeatable method too. In fact, I'm probably just
going to cut them all by hand as:

a)I'm a bit shaky with a router (it is a very cheap router)

b)it's only for a frame underneath an MDF constructions.

I hope you'll let us know how it goes. I'd personally be happy to do
them by hand, it's quiet, safe, and satisfying, but I gotta admit, if
I can do them _better_ with a router....

I'm going up to my brother's on the 31st of the month. Over that
weekend I'll be cutting all those joints.

My current thoughts lie in using a Bench Saw I already own. It's a
weak-ass, small version of a table saw... but for 2x2 it should be fine.

Of course, because it's such a cheap tool it doesn't come with a mitre
sled, so I'll be using a T shaped construction as a mitre sled (using
the top of the T to slide along the left hand side of the table).

And... as the height isn't adjustable, I'll be placing all the bits to
be cut on top of some 18mm MDF (to raise the height so I can only cut
through half of the stock).

Anyway, I will post back when I'm done....

Cheers,

Andy