Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default Converting low pressure to high pressure domestic water

In message

rnal-september.org, Tim+ writes
chris French wrote:
In message
te
rnal-september.org, Tim+ writes

I've often wondered if there is a good way to safely and legally boost an
existing HW tank to work much nearer its rated maximum pressure. Most
vented tanks I think are rated to at least 1bar and that would give a
useful boost to most systems if you could get the header tank high enough
(which in most cases of course you never can - flats excepted).

You build a really tall tower in your garden with the cold water
cistern on top?

I guess the problem is providing a fail safe pressure relief system.

Well yes, but surely the main problem is having a way to increase the
pressure? I guess you could always connect it up to the mains....

I think there is a reason people pump the outlet :-)

Pumps are noisy and relatively expensive. A mains pressure regulator is
cheap and quiet.

I'm trying to work out whether a long coil laid on its
side and with each loop of the coil half filled could provide the necessary
"height" but in a compact space for the overflow. Getting 30 ft of height
into a coil might need a lot of pipe though!

What !?

It's the physical height that's important, how would half filled coils
of pipe exert any extra head?
--
Chris French