Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_4_] Snag[_4_] is offline

Default Small feeds on the lathe

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Bob Engelhardt fired this volley in
:

How fine do you feed? What are the considerations in doing a very
fine feed?

You can feed as fine as you wish. A lot of industrial precision
cutters take off mere microns per pass.

Your concern about "skating, then hogging" is only a legitimate
concern with positive-rake, fairly dull tooling.

Do the same with a zero or negative rake tool _that_is_sharp_enough_,
and you can take a 0.0001 cut (or a 0.000001 cut), if you wish.

Basically, if the cutter edge has a radius of a small fraction of the
feed distance, and has a small enough rake to NOT pull itself into the
work, it will do just fine.

If you're using HSS tooling, I'd keep the feed above 1.5 thousandths.

Lloyd

My Logan is geared right now so that it feeds .0022 on the finest feed .
Stock setup feeds .0044 , but sometimes that isn't fine enough . Lloyd ,
re-read your statement about feed rate vs tool radius . I find I get the
best finish if the tip radius is larger than the feed rate ...
--
Snag

---