Posted to alt.home.repair
Irreverent Maximus Irreverent Maximus is offline

Default bi-polar TeaBillies

"dadiOH" wrote in message ...

Maybe but remember, a lot of that money is in:
'30s,'40s,'50s,'60s,"70s" etc.. dollars.

What would that money (in present day dollars) be worth
if it was put into a modest investment?

When I was in my eary 50s (I'm 80 now) I figured that if I could stop paying
SS and use the same amount of money as self investment I could accumulate
enough by retirement to pay myself what SS would have paid but WITHOUT
diminishing the principal.

An easy, approximate way to figure a future value is to divide 72 by
whatever rate of interest you receive. The result is the time in years that
it takes for money to double if there are no withdrawals and if the interest
is compounded. For example, if you are getting 6% interest then the money
will double in 12 years; at 10 %, in 7.2 years.

If believe the general number is 2% return on SS, and 10-15% on private.