J T

Default Replacing gunnel on my canoe (slightly OT)

Thu, Jul 15, 2004, 11:48pm lid (J.=A0Clarke) says:
snip On a canoe, I'd use resorcinol myself, but epoxy should be fine.
I wouldn't trust _any_ PVA glue on a stressed part of any boat. Having
your glue let go at sea can ruin your whole day snip

OK, I'll bite. Why would you imply that a PVA glue would "let go
at sea" on a canoe, stressed part or not? tt's not going to be
submerged, at least not in normal use. And, it's not like wood glue has
never been used in boatbuilding before. I'd imagine it'll wind up with
a varnish, or other protective coating too, which will keep moisture
away from the glue. Do you know of a stressed PVA glue joint that "let
go at sea"?

Hey Ron, you're the resident boatbuilding expert, what's your
opinion?

JOAT

We've got a lot of experience of not having any experience.
- Nanny Ogg