Default Dust collection flex tubing, what's good?

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 22:58:20 GMT, igor wrote:

On 15 Jul 2004 15:19:48 -0700, (Joe Emenaker) wrote:

"Puff Griffis" wrote:
On the show " Ultimate Workshop" on the DIY network they said that the
flex hose slows down the air current thus robbing power from your DC.

Yeah. I'm expecting a Delta 1.5hp DC for my birthday next month, and
so I'm doing a lot of reading on how to "duct-up" the shop. Almost all
of the articles seem to be in agreement on the following principles:

o 4" is good. 5" is gooder. 6" is gooderer.

This comment is not to you so much as to a number of people here who say
that bigger is better with ducts. I can see that as a general proposition,
but at some point, relative to the size of the fan, won't velocity suffer
in a significant way? And, doesn't velocity have a role to play in an
effective DC system? After all, we are not just talking about air -- also
talking about moving solid waste. Or, as is sometimes the case, am I
missing something here? -- Igor

you're not missing something. the bigger the duct the bigger the
collector you need to have sucking on it. if the duct is
oversize/collector is undersize sawdust will settle out in the duct.