Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Radio Antenna on street lights

In article , Geoff Pearson
scribeth thus

"mogga" wrote in message
.. .
We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little
antennas on the top.

What is it for? They look like they have a light detetctor same as the
old ones too.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

I think the ones in Edinburgh are part of the BusTracker system.

I doubt they need to do that most bus tracker systems work up in Band 3
174 to 230 odd MHz and use GPS for the location service and then
transmit that info back to the bus stops on either Band 3 or GSM of some
flavour...

Sometimes even on 459 odd MHz licence exempt services.. Like the car
parks around here..

One here with the aerial some 40 deg off beam;!..

http://goo.gl/maps/Fxra9

--
Tony Sayer