Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Recommend a GOOD CFL

"Joe"
"Phil Allison"
"Shaun"
"amdx"

Just remeber, as I understand it, most CFL's are not made to be run
upside down.

BULL****! Most light bulbs are installed upside down, maybe you need a
good whack upside the head!!

** Some CFLs are alleged to have a shorter life if run bulb upwards.

So bulb down is the norm.

I thought it was just the opposite - and I surmised that the reason was
that the bulb was the heat source, and putting it ABOVE the base allowed
most of that heat to dissipate via convection.

** Bulb down IS the norm for incandescent lamps and in most case CFLs too.

For lamps used in open fittings, there is no significant difference in temp
rise.

Fittings that trap air around the base of a CFL will cause the electronics
to overheat whatever way up the are.

So the allegation is meaningless.

.... Phil