Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Portable soldering iron recommendations?

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 16:02:52 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 11:30:11 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"rangerssuck" wrote in message
My trusty Portasol has, apparently, given up the ghost. I don't use it
very often, but when I need it (as I did yesterday), I expect it to
work. Yesterday it did not. I filled it with butane, turned it on, and
no gas flowed. The on/off switch feels kind of funky, and I suppose
that
after the 20 or so years that I've had it, I can't complain.

So, today I went looking at Amazon, ebay, home depot, etc, and it
seems
like there's a pretty huge array, some good reviews and some horrible
reviews for each of them.

I don't want to spend a LOT of money, but I don't want to but crap,
either. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I've got a couple butane soldering irons. They work ok, but recently I
had to do a repair on an alarm panel (fusible link was blown) and
didn't
have one in the truck. Rather than a 45 minute trip (one way) back to
the shop I stopped by a local Radio Shack and found one that operates
on
a couple AA batteries. Along with it I picked up a small roll of light
(thin) rosin core solder. I also bought a pack of batteries to go in
it,
as I didn't expect them to last long. That soldering iron has seen
half
a dozen uses in the field now, and at the moment it sitting on my work
bench because I just used to to make up some battery packs. It still
has
the first set of batteries in it. The pack I bought has come in handy,
but so far not for that iron.

I would not use it to try and solder a T-tap in 12 ga electrical wire,
but it does a great job for fine soldering of 22ga stuff, circuit
boards,
etc and its great in close quarters were I am not 100% certain of the
flammability of the surrounding dust and the glow of a butane iron
makes
me nervous.

I don't know what its life actually is because I don't normally use it
on
the bench, but I've had it for over a year. Normally it rides around
in
my tool pouch in the truck.

P.S. I think if I needed more heat and used it for longer at a time I
would look for one of the old oversized Weller butane irons.

P.P.S. I guess over a year isn't recently...LOL

---
protection is active.

I have one of those so-called "cold" soldering irons too - 2 AA
batteries -and it is cold all right - have never been able to solder
anything with the useless piece of junk.

I don't know what a "cold" soldering iron is, and if the one I got said
"cold" anywhere on it I would not have bought it.

Oh..you havent seen/used one of those pieces of ****?

http://www.howstuffworks.com/cold-heat.htm (6 pages.."keep reading")

Its basically a resistance soldering iron. Usually battery operated.

And under "Ideal" conditions..they work. However..in the real
world....not so good.

Gunner

---

"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---